Recipes | Blueberry Crumb Cake

                                                      Blueberry Crumb Cake

      I've had some time off of work----and---- I'm loving it!  It's been nice to have time to work on things around the house, like sort through all those coupons in my junk drawer that have expired two months ago.  lol  I went through Erich's closet and bagged clothes to donate that he's outgrown.  I've been winter cleaning---mopping floors, dusting mouldings and washing walls.  Last night I made popcorn and the three of us watched a movie together.   I've been cooking and baking recipes that I have been wanting to make for some time now.  I noticed that I have shared photos of things I've made on instagram [like my blueberry muffins] but haven't posted the recipes on my blog.      Ina's Blueberry Crumb Cake is one of those recipes that I've been wanting to make and when I went to the fruit market the other day, blueberries were only 1.29 a pint!  I bought two pints.  Erich loves blueberries and I thought my grandson may like something made with blueberries too!
     Who wouldn't like a moist lemon-scented cake full of blueberries with a buttery, cinnamon crumble on top?  I gave hubby a taste and he said, "wow, that would be great for breakfast with coffee!"   Erich had a big slice after school and he requested it with some whipped cream I had in the fridge.  Ha!  It really doesn't need anything on top but he's a teenager---so, the sweeter, the better right? lol  I've only had a sliver because I need to watch my girly figure.  Butter, sugar and flour crumble topping isn't exactly low-cal.  I just bought a bunch of veggies that I need to eat!

Barefoot Contessa's Blueberry Crumb Cake
Recipe by: Ina Garten                                                                                       Preheat oven 350*F

For the streusel:
1/4  cup granulated sugar
1/3  cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1  teaspoon cinnamon
1/8  teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4  pound   (1 stick butter) melted
1/3  cup flour

For the cake:
6  tablespoons room temperature butter
3/4  cup granulated sugar
2  extra large eggs, room temperature
1  teaspoon vanilla
1/2  teaspoon grated lemon zest
2/3   cup sour cream
1 1/4   cups all-purpose flour
1  teaspoon baking powder
1/4  teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1  cup fresh blueberries
Confectioners sugar for sprinkling on top of baked cake

Butter and flour 9" springform baking pan

Directions
For the streusel:
Combine sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg in a bowl.  Stir in melted butter, and then add flour.
Mix well, set aside.

For the cake:
Cream butter and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer til fluffy.  Reduce speed and add eggs one at a time, then add vanilla, lemon zest, and sour cream.
In separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
With mixer on low add flour mixture to batter til just combined.
Fold in blueberries with spatula.
Spoon batter in paking pan and spread out.
Crumble topping evenly over batter.
Bake 40 -- 50 minutes, til toothpick comes out clean.
Cool completely.  Sprinkle with Confectioners sugar.
    
        Happy Baking!

                   
                              ~Marcie

     



Comments

Popular Posts