Recipe | My Favorite Chilly Weather Soup

                                             Taste of Home   |   Spicy Beef and Potato Soup

     During the winter months I love to make my favorite comfort foods.  Hearty soups, easy roasted meals like roast chicken, pork or beef and casseroles.   They make the house smell good and also remind me of dinners that my parents made on the weekends when I was growing up.  I love it when Erich comes home after school and the first thing he asks, "what are you making?  It smells so good in here!"  The weather has been chilly and windy the past couple of days and I made this spicy soup last night to help warm us up!  The boys love this soup.  I like that it's made with ingredients that are staples in my kitchen.  I add carrots, dried parsley and Tabasco for extra depth of flavor.

                                               Taste of Home Spicy Beef and Potato Soup
Recipe adapted from here.



1  pound ground round  90/10
1 large onion chopped
3  large russet potatoes peeled diced
3-4  carrots sliced
2  15 oz cans of tomato sauce
2 cups water
1  teaspoon Kosher salt
1  teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1-1 1/2  teaspoons of Frank's Hot Sauce
1-2  dashes of Tabasco sauce
dried parsley  (optional)






In a Dutch oven, brown ground beef with chopped onion until it is no longer pink.  Drain excess fat.  Add potaotes, carrots, tomato sauce, water, salt, pepper, hotsauce and Tabasco sauce (optional). Bring to a boil.  Lower heat and simmer for an hour, stirring occasionally---until potaotes and carrots are tender.  Garnish with dried parsley.  I serve it with buttered french bread.

            Who wouldn't love buttered french bread with a warm bowl of soup on a chilly day?
                                                         
                                                               
                                                                         ~Marcie

                                                   

Comments

Popular Posts