Our Tomato Harvest + Recipe | Ina's Tomatoes Roasted with Pesto

      Oh my September is almost over!  I started writing this post in the beginning of September.  Where has the time gone?  Between work, school starting, dropping Erich off and picking him up at the high school for marching band practice, competitions, and football games-----time has slipped away from me!
      I love when the leaves start to turn color.  This is an area near our neighborhood in the beginning of September.  The countryside fields have all started to take on autumnal hues of golden brown.  Wild purple asters and goldenrod are in full bloom and some of the trees have ruby red leaves.




      We had quite a few tomatoes in the beginning of September.  I love fresh tomatoes.  I used them on the hamburgs that the Hubster grilled.  I bought some lower sodium bacon and we had BLT's with avocados for dinner one evening.  I even took a few to work with me to eat during my break.





       I also made Ina Garten's  Roasted Tomatoes with Pesto with the last of our home grown tomatoes and served them with herbed rice along with the lamb chops that the Hubster grilled.
      They are really easy to make.  I used store-bought Pesto and I lined the sheet pans with aluminum foil to make clean-up easier.  The aroma of the oregano and basil pesto roasting is fabulous!  I could hardly wait to try one.  The boys really liked them!

                        Preheat oven 425* F

Ingredients:
2--4 garden fresh tomatoes
3  tablespoons olive oil
2  teaspoons dried oregano
Kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/2  cup basil pesto
1/2  cup grated Parmesan


Core tomatoes and slice them 1/2" thick.

Place slices on lined baking sheet.
Sprinkle with olive oil and dried oregano, salt and pepper.

Bake 10 minutes.


Remove from oven.
Spread pesto on slices and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Return to oven and bake 7--10 minutes until Parmesan is melted and golden brown.

Serve warm or room temperature.


      We had several hot days this past week----it felt more like the middle of summer than the beginning of fall.  Thank goodness the heat wave has passed.  I hope to take Erich to the apple orchard soon.  I'm so looking forward to making some of my favorite fall bake goods and savory, roasted meat and vegetables for dinner.

                                                                      Happy Fall!

                                                             
                                                                        ~Marcie


Comments

Popular Posts