Recipe | Tomato Basil Soup

      Today was beyond cold----it was sub-zero cold.  It was announced yesterday evening that school would be closed due to inclement weather.  Of course Erich was thrilled!  It's been frigid for over a week which keeps me in the house.  It hasn't been too bad being home---I've been cleaning and organizing.  With the holiday decorations put away the house seems rather dull.  The Baby's Breath from New Years Eve still looked good today and while I was making Tomato Basil soup I thought I'd set the kitchen table with my vintage Early American tablecloth.
   

      I bought the tablecloth this summer at an antique store.  My first thought when I saw it was that it reminds me of "The Sign of the Beefcarver" restaurant. lol
      I had to have it!  We love The Sign of the Beefcarver!  I paid less than 5 dollars for it on sale.  It fits the table perfectly and looks so good with the Currier and Ives dinnerware.
                                                             Tomato Basil Soup

2  tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2  medium yellow onions chopped (finely)
2  cloves garlic (minced)
2  teaspoon brown sugar
1/2  teaspoons salt
1/4  teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 1/2  teaspoons dried basil
1  28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes (no salt added)
4  cups (32 ounces) chicken broth (no salt added)
2-3  shakes of Frank's Hot Sauce
1/2  cup half & half

     In a Dutch oven or large pan add extra virgin olive oil turn heat to medium.  Add onions and simmer at medium low heat until translucent and when onions start to turn golden brown add the crushed garlic and simmer for 1 minute.

Stir in tomatoes, chicken broth, salt, pepper, basil, brown sugar and hot sauce.  Bring to boil.  Turn heat down and simmer for 20 minutes.  Stir in half & half.  Continue simmering soup for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  (I don't blend the soup, however it can be blended for a smoother soup in a blender.)
Salt and pepper (extra hot sauce) to taste.

      I made grilled Swiss cheese sandwiches to have with our soup.  Erich absolutely loved the soup and said it was the best tomato soup ever.  He's the tomato soup & grilled cheese aficionado!



      I'm sure I'll be making more soup or stew tomorrow being as this cold spell is here for a little while longer.  The boys love my potato soup and beef stew---maybe I'll share the recipes soon.  

                                                              Stay safe and warm!
                                                                          Love, 
                                                                            ~Marcie


Comments

Popular Posts