Design Inspiration | Creating A Comfy, Cozy Home

 
      We are nearing the home stretch in painting our home. (Thank goodness!)  In February we had new flooring installed throughout the main floor of our home, excluding the bathrooms.  Since then, I've been painting.  I started in my son's new room and large closet.  We  moved him from his small room to the larger bedroom that was once the Hubster's home office.
      Erich's former room is now my office/sewing/craft room.  I painted the walls and closet SW Pure White in eggshell and the trim in satin.  I left the ceiling light blue.  It's the color we painted it when we moved in our home and Erich was only 2 years old.  I am so thrilled to be able to have this space.  This is the first time I have ever had my own room for my hobbies.   I worked at a fabric store for 12 years and I made clothes and costumes for my daughter and me.  I also made quilts, pillows, curtains, purses, Christmas ornaments and decorations, dolls and stuffed animals.  In recent years, I have made pillow covers and curtains for our home.  I'm looking forward to bringing my sewing supplies, laces, fabrics and linens to store in this room and use for my projects.
       I love neutral backdrops and furnishings in my rooms.  Ivory, taupe, beige and grays are beautiful calming colors.   It may seem bland and boring to some.  I personally like being able to change the feel of a room by adding color and texture with pillows, rugs, and blankets.  Re-purposing furniture and decorative items, mixing wood tones and painted pieces, both antique and transitional---- give spaces a sense of history and keep them updated without feeling too formal or stuffy.  Seasonal flowers and foliage add fragrant pops of color.  Natural elements such as sea shells, nuts, pine cones, feathers, woven wicker baskets and bamboo furniture bring the warmth and beauty of nature indoors.  I love blue and white pottery----it adds a pop of color and interest throughout the house.  Brass, pewter, silver, copper and decorative glass/crystal pieces in the room adds sparkle.  I also collect antique/vintage books.  I love the patina of their jackets and pages.  I find them at estate sales and even thrift stores.  I've always loved  antique photographs and prints.  I have made copies of our family photographs in black and white and framed them to display around the house.  They add warm memories of special moments spent together with our loved ones.
Whenever I'm getting ready to refresh a room---- I get my binder of collected magazine and catalog
pages that I've pulled out and saved for inspiration.  Some of the images are over 20 years old and I still have every Victoria magazine that I've bought since Summer 1988.  The following images are from Better Homes and Gardens March 2007.
                                                            I love this chest of drawers.  
         The warm, spicy colors in the rug are repeated in the beautiful collection of throw pillows. I'm wondering if fringed pillows will make a comeback?  I love my needlepoint pillow---and I really don't care if it's in or out.  lol  I believe people ought to decorate their home with things they love----not the latest fad or trend.  After all trends come and go----classic style is everlasting.
      This master bedroom with the same yummy, spicy color palette as the living room has been a long-time favorite inspiration.  The gorgeous floral ruffled curtains soften the windows.
      I love how the ceiling matches the bed skirt and the matelasse coverlet is topped with rich patterned pillows and quilt.  I've had my matelasse coverlet since we first got married.
      The Hubster took the mirror down this morning and it's in my office.  I spent the day cutting in the dining room, and tomorrow I will be rolling the walls.  It will take a couple days to completely cover the walls and then paint the mill work on the fireplace and doorways.  
      I plan on taking a break for a few days and then I'll move on to the entryway and hallway.  Once it is finished I will be putting everything back into place and sigh.......... 
      Creating and keeping a house that feels comfortable, cozy, and smells like something homemade is waiting in the kitchen------makes my family feel like they are "home sweet home" when they walk through the door.  That is what makes me the happiest.  

                                                                              ~Marcie


Comments

Popular Posts