Sunday Night Dinner | Recipe | Aubergine, Tomato Sauce & Fettuccini

   Not only has summer come to an end---- my tomato plants have also come to the end of their season as well.  Fall is my favorite time of the year, however, it seems like it came too early!  The very thought of shorter days, cold weather and a long winter makes me sad.  On the bright side, I do love chrysanthemums, pumpkins, going for a walk at the cider mill, fresh cider and donuts.   
      I'm looking forward to the spectacular display of colorful fall leaves.  I always marvel at God's glorious creation each season as it changes.  He gives us so much to be grateful for each minute of the day.  The first thing I do every morning is thank God for all the blessings that he bestows upon us. 
      When I went to the fruit market the other day, I picked up a couple of mums, and when I went inside the market--- I saw this table stacked with beautiful aubergine for only 69¢ each! 
How could I resist? 
I couldn't!

Aubergine, Tomato Sauce & Fettuccini

32 oz. good quality tomato sauce
1   medium yellow onion diced
1   medium to large aubergine cut into med size cubes
2   whole cloves of garlic
2   Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1   6 oz. can tomato paste
1   Tablespoon brown sugar
1   teaspoon dried basil
1   teaspoon sea salt
1/2  teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese


16 oz. box of fettuccine
2   teaspoons sea salt

1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley (garnish)

Freshly grated parmesan cheese at the table for those who love extra cheese.


In a large skillet add 2 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and diced onions.
Saute over medium/low heat until translucent.  Add aubergine, sauté on medium heat stirring occasionally until softened, not browned.   Add tomato sauce, tomato paste,  brown sugar, 2 whole cloves of garlic, sea salt, freshly ground pepper, basil and simmer, stir occasionally 45 to 60 minutes.  Add parmesan cheese, continue to simmer while pasta is cooking.

Bring a large pot of water with 2 teaspoons of sea salt to a boil.  Cook pasta according to package directions.

Drain pasta and toss in skillet with aubergine sauce.  Simmer for a few minutes. 
Transfer to serving dish, sprinkle with parsley and serve.

bon appétit!   

~Marcie  
                                                                               

Comments

Popular Posts