Recipe | The End of Summer Corn Salad

             
    Although autumn is my favorite time of year---- I'm sorry that summer officially came to an end on Tuesday.  The weather has been absolutely gorgeous the past few days with sunny skies and temperatures in the mid-seventies!  I spent some time in the garden cutting back the herbs and perennials preparing them for a long winters nap.  I also harvested the last of our tomatoes and dug up the plants.
      The good news is that with the end of summer and the beginning of autumn there's a wonderful  variety of fresh vegetables available at our local farmers market and fruit markets.  When I went to my favorite fruit market on Monday, they had ten ears of corn for $2.00.   I bought five.  I used three for the corn salad and saved two for Keith to put on the grill for another day.   This is the second time that I made fresh corn salad this year.  Keith and I love it, and Erich said that he would like it better without the feta cheese in it.  Go figure?

Summer Corn Salad
Adapted from Taste of Home

4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
zest of 1 lime
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon of ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

1 1/2 cups fresh corn  ( I used 3 corn cobs )
1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes cut in half lengthwise
2 Persian cucumbers chopped
1/4 cup finely diced red onion
2 teaspoons dried basil
1/4 cup feta cheese

In a small bowl whisk together 4 teaspoons of olive oil, lime juice, zest, salt, pepper and Tabasco sauce.  Set aside.

Carefully cut the bottom of the corn cob off.  Place bottom of corn cob on a cutting board and cut kernels off the cob.

In a large skillet add 1 teaspoon of olive oil and stir in corn over medium-high heat until tender.  This only takes a minute--do not over cook.  Transfer to a large salad bowl and allow to cool slightly.  Add tomatoes, cucumbers, onion and basil.  Drizzle dressing over salad and toss. 

Let stand for ten minutes.  Sprinkle with feta before serving and stir.  Garnish with fresh basil.
Keep in Refrigerated.

    I think this would be great with chopped  green or red pepper, zucchini, celery, or sliced radishes. I may try making it with parmesan cheese next time in place of the feta.  I love how fresh and light it is and it pairs well with grilled pork, chicken or beef.


Thank you Lord for blessing us with Thy gifts from Thy bounty.
Amen.
 
                                                  We are truly blessed.
                                                          ~Marcie     

Comments

Popular Posts