Our Thanksgiving | Recipe | My Parent's Dressing

      Seems like Thanksgiving came and went in a blink of an eye!  Hoping everyone had a happy, safe Thanksgiving.  I made dinner for the three of us on Thanksgiving.  Saturday we picked up mom and we went to the Hubster's sister and brother-in-law's for dinner with the entire family.  It was really great to see everyone and there is a new family member born just three months ago!  It's so wonderful to have little ones in the family.
      I set our Thanksgiving table with found acorns, white roses, copper colored mums, seeded eucalyptus in an antique copper container with a Delft blue handle that I found at an estate sale this summer.
     Dark blue block print napkins tied with a brown grosgrain ribbon + antique brass tone acorn bell.
      For dinner I made Turkey Tenderloin Roulade with my parent's dressing, mashed potatoes with Ina's Turkey gravy recipe (minus the Cognac) and cranberry sauce.
                                                               My Parent's Dressing
                                                                                                                    Preheat oven 375* F
1  cup finely chopped celery
1/2   cup chopped onion
1/2  cup butter
2  Tablesoons minced celery leaves
1  teaspoon rubbed sage
8  cups dried bread cubes (white bread)
3/4 to 1 cup chicken broth

      In a large skillet cook celery and onions in butter until tender, not brown.  Remove from heat and stir in sage, minced celery leaves, salt and pepper.  Place dry bread cubes in a large mixing bowl.  Add the onion mixture.  Drizzle with enough broth to moisten, tossing lightly.

Place dressing in a covered casserole dish and bake at 375*F for 20 -- 30 minutes.  I like to bake the dressing uncovered for the last 5--10 minutes to brown the top.

      Every time I make my parent's dressing it takes me back to holiday mornings when my mother would chop the celery, onions and break the white bread in to cubes.   My father would get the turkey prepped for the oven while mama cooked the onion mixture and mixed it with the bread cubes.  The house smelled so gooood!!

      Yesterday I gathered the pumpkins, fall decor and wrapped the brown transfer ware and put it all away.   I'm starting to get excited to get our tree and decorate for Christmas!  Weather permitting we will be going to Blake's Farm to get a tree next weekend.  In the meantime, I can go through the boxes of Xmas decor and pick out what I want to bring up this week.

                               
                   
November is coming to an end, it's the "Holiday Season" and before we know it---we will be ringing in 2019!!!

                                             
                                                                       ~Marcie
                 

Comments

Popular Posts