Thanksgiving Table Inspiration

     Happy November!  It seems strange to me that Thanksgiving is less than a week away.   I saw a post on Facebook the other day stating that there are five Fridays until Christmas!  What?!!!  Ok, I know---  retail stores have been stocking Christmas decorations since October, and a national craft store started in July.  I tend to just walk past it all because I don't want to get tired of Christmas, before December even arrives.  My mama's rule was that she didn't start Christmas decorating until after December 1st.  I follow her rule as well.

      I start thinking about how I'm going to set my Thanksgiving table a few days after Hallowe'en.  I buy pie pumpkins and mini pumpkins in October.  When I went to the grocery store yesterday there were no gourds left, only pie pumpkins and various squash.  This year the white pumkins and mini pumpkins sold quickly---I didn't even buy any. That's alright, there are so many beautiful fruits, vegetables, nuts, flowers, foliage and pinecones available this time of year to decorate the table with.  The table above is from one of my favorite antique stores---La Belle Antiques in Saint Clair Shores, MI.   It was gorgeous!             
                                                   Better Homes and Gardens November 1999
      I love this image---it's so warm and cozy.  I kept the entire article that includes this simple and beautiful table setting, recipes and Turkey Roasting Guide.
       I love the simplicity of this tablesetting from Pottery Barn 2018.  The ice blue napkins could be replaced with a spicy orange, gold or rich brown solid colored napkins or a pretty autumnal plaid, gingham or block print.  
      Here is our table from 2016.  I bought white pumpkins in October while they were still available and thankfully they were still in good shape for Thanksgiving day!  I'm never really sure just how I will decorate the table with fresh elements until the week of Thanksgiving.  It really depends what is available.  I've been using the Royal Doulton transfer ware for the past several years.  It has a delicate brown print on the outer part of the plate.  The floral center has rich red and blue tones.  
      I like to mix pewter and sterling silver peices.  I also used brass candle sticks. Copper peices would look beautiful as well.  I don't like things to be too matchy, matchy---mixing things up makes the table more interesting.  I thought the persimmons were a nice alternative to orange pumpkins and gourds.  Gold grossgrain ribbon tied around the napkins with gift tags and preserved wheat bring a simple harvest touch to the place settings.
This is the centerpiece of our Thanksgiving table from last year.
      Last year's Thanksgiving table was one of my favorite table settings.  I loved the blue transfer ware with the Royal Doultan transfer ware.  I think the pears along with the Hubbard squash, mini white pumpkins, coral mini roses and seeded eucalytus are a lovely combination.  The muted beige Buffalo print napkins are from Pottery Barn.
            Here's a platter with the most perfect looking turkey--- from Martha Stewart of course.

                                    I basically have the same traditional menu every year:
Turkey~~Dressing~~Mashed Potatoes + Gravy~~Green Bean Almondine~~Stuffed Celery (cream cheese +  minced green stuffed olives with pimentos)~~Dinner Rolls~~Cranberry Conserve~~ and last, but not least....   ~~ Pumpkin Pie!

      I use an electric roaster to roast the turkey.  The skin doesn't come out brown and crispy however, the meat is super moist!  I make my parents recipe for bread dressing.  Onions and celery are sauteed in salt + pepper, dried rubbed sage with lots of butter---then tossed together with plain dry bread cubes and chicken broth.  I bake the dressing in a casserole dish.   I'll try to post the recipe soon.
   

      Setting a beautiful table is something that I look forward to however, the time spent with family is what really brings me joy.  When I was growing up we used to go to my uncle Paul & aunt Norma's or unle Pete & aunt Betty's house---at the time, there easily were over 30 of us.  The more, the merrier certainly applied!  The tables weren't always perfect. My aunts, cousins and mama all helped cook dinner--- while the men watched football in the living room.  lol  There was always plenty of love. delicious food, and great memories of our time spent together.  (Photo of my Papa and uncle Paul on Thanksgiving 1974)


I'm so thankful for so many things---my family, friends, our home and all the things that we need on a daily basis that the Lord provides.  I have truly been blessed through the years.

                                         
 
              I pray everyone has a safe, happy and blessed Thanksgiving with family and friends.
                                                           
                                                                         Love,
                                                                               ~Marcie

Comments

Popular Posts