Recipe | Mama's Meat Loaf + Roasted Baby Golden Potatoes with Garlic, Onions & Rosemary

Most of the meals, deserts and baked goods that I prepare are things that my mama made.  My mother enjoyed baking---- more than cooking, perhaps it was because she worked full time and then came home and made dinner every day, she baked on the weekends.  I want to dedicate my first "food" post to one of my favorite meals that my mother prepared---Meat Loaf Dinner.  Mama made her meat loaf without a measured recipe with ground beef, crushed Krispy saltine crackers, 1 egg, Heinz ketchup, chopped onions, salt and pepper--- baked in a loaf pan with ketchup on top. Mama usually served meat loaf with boiled potatoes [mashed on the plate with a fork] with butter, salt and pepper and a serving of green beans.  I made meat loaf the same way for years until I changed the recipe a bit by using bread crumbs [when I do not have saltine crackers] I also add 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese and when I have fresh parsley I'll add a tablespoon chopped for extra flavor and color.  I love the bright green  peeking throughout the loaf.  I also form the loaf on a sheet pan rather than bake it in a loaf pan.

Mama's Meat Loaf                                                                                    Preheat oven 350* F

1 Lb.  ground round beef  93% beef / 7% fat
1 large egg
1 medium onion
1/4 cup Heinz ketchup
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup bread crumbs or 8 saltine crackers crushed* [in a plastic sandwich bag by rolling over it with a rolling pin]  *That's what I call an old-fashioned food processor!
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper

Additional ketchup to cover the loaf.

Line a 16" x 13" sheet pan with parchment paper.
Saute' onion in skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil until translucent.  Do not brown.
In a large mixing bowl combine egg, ketchup, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs [or crushed crackers] salt and pepper.  Add beef, cooled onions and mix well.  Place the mixture on lined sheet pan and form into a loaf  2" thick.  Pour additional ketchup on top of loaf and spread evenly on [including the sides] with spatula.  Place pan into preheated 350 F oven and bake for 45-50 minutes.



Roasted Baby Golden Potatoes with Garlic, Onions & Rosemary         Preheat oven 425* F

2 to 3 tablespoons of good extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves minced fresh garlic
1 tablespoon of chopped fresh rosemary
1 large yellow onion cut in half and quartered
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 to 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 pounds baby golden potatoes cut in half

Line a sheet pan with extra wide heavy duty aluminum foil be sure to cover the ends and sides.  Lightly spread a teaspoon or so of olive oil on foil.

Place halved potatoes and cut onions, minced garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper---then sprinkle olive oil over vegetables and herbs, then toss together until coated.  Spread evenly on pan.  Bake 30-35 minutes carefully stir occasionally until potatoes are golden brown and tender when tested with a fork. Garnish with sprig of fresh rosemary.

Ask your loved ones if they will share a recipe with you.  I only have one hand written recipe by my mom and a couple of my grandma's recipes that I dearly treasure and plan to make then post in the future. 

Have a blessed day.

~Marcie





Comments

Popular Posts