Recipe | Hudson's Maurice Salad

       I invited my friend Sandy over the other day for lunch and to celebrate her birthday.  Sandy and I both grew up in the metro-Detroit area and loved going to J.L. Hudson's to shop and dine.  My Mimi worked in the greeting card department at the Northland Hudson's.  I remember visiting Mimi at Hudson's while she was working.
     Hudson's restaurants are well known for it's Maurice salad since the 1940's; and the retailer that now occupies the former Hudson's stores and restaurants continue to offer the Maurice salad on their menu.
           In the Spring 1996 Hudson's sale magazine, the recipe for the salad was featured.  I put it in my recipe binder years ago and this was the first time that I've made it. I know that it's one of Sandy's favorites, so I thought I would surprise her by having a "Hudson's" themed lunch for her.
       I have a vintage Hudson's shopping bag that I found at a Grosse Pointe estate sale.  I took the bag up to an office supply store and copied it for place mats.  Hudson's served Sanders Hot Fudge Cream Puffs for dessert.   I went to Sanders on Tuesday to buy cream puffs, chocolate fudge topping and ice cream to serve for dessert in lieu of cake and ice cream.
      While we were eating lunch I played Ray Conniff S'Wonderful album.  After lunch we played Rummy 300 and Sandy won with only 6 points!  I don't even think my brother Terry ever beat me that bad!  I'm a good sport [or a glutton for punishment]----I'm ready to challenge her to another game real soon! 
Hudson's Maurice Salad 

Salad
14 oz. ham, cut into strips
14 oz. cooked turkey-breast meat, cut into strips
14 oz. Swiss cheese, cut into strips
1/2 cup sweet gherkin pickles slivered

2 heads iceberg lettuce shredded
12-16 pimento-stuffed green olives

Dressing
2 tsp.  white vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice  (I used the juice from 1/2 lemon)
1 1/2 tsp.  grated onion
1 1/2 tsp.  granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp.  Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1 cup  Hellman's Light Mayonnaise
2 Tbsp.  chopped fresh parsley
1  hard cooked egg finely diced
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

To make dressing combine vinegar, lemon juice, grated onion, sugar, and mustard.  Stir to dissolve sugar.  Add mayonnaise, parsley, egg, salt and pepper.  Mix well.  Combine ham, turkey, cheese and pickles in a large bowl.  Toss together with dressing.   Place lettuce on plates.   Top with salad and garnish with olives and sprig of parsley.  Makes six to eight servings.

      I mixed 1/4 of the dressing with 1/4 the salad for lunch and served it on top of lettuce on large plates.  I gave Sandy 1/4 of the dressing and salad to take home to share with her hubby Dale.  The remaining 1/2 of the dressing and salad I served with dinner the following 2 days with Keith and Erich.  Keith loved it!  He said his mom used to make it every now and then for dinner.

                     Hope everyone has a great Memorial weekend. Time seems to be flying...........
in just a few days it will be June! 


 ~Marcie   

        
      
                                        

Comments

Popular Posts