Detroit Public Library | Main Library | Ernie Harwell Collection

  As a native Detroiter, I'm wondering, what took me so long to go to the Detroit Public Library?  A couple of days ago, I went to the Detroit Public Library Main Branch, 5201 Woodward Avenue  Detroit, Michigan with Keith's mom and  the 55+ Club for the very first time.  What a gorgeous architectural and cultural jewel it is!  I don't know why I'm surprised.  Detroit in its heyday was the Paris of North America.  Keith and I have been to many incredibly beautiful historical venues in Detroit. Even my humble house that I raised my daughter in Detroit was a lovely full brick English Tudor style bungalow [built in 1937] with limestone surrounding the front door and fireplace, natural woodwork, French doors, and a cedar closet on the second floor.  There are many custom built homes in the neighborhoods where Keith and I resided in Detroit.  Our homes were just a couple of tiny jewels in the crown of Detroit.



    "It would be as improper to house a library in a building that was illiterate in its architecture as to fill it with books written in an illiterate manner.   A library should create an environment of scholarship and refinement; it fails of its purpose as an educative factor if it is other than a beautiful building."

                                                        CASS GILBERT  |  1859-1934
               Renowned American architect and architect of The Detroit Public Library, 1921

       Cass Gilbert also designed the United States Supreme Court Building in Washington D.C.

                                Photograph of the Detroit Public Library in the Cass lobby hallway. 

The Detroit Library is centrally located between the Detroit Institute of Arts and Wayne State University.                      
                                                             Detroit Institute of Arts

Children's Library
Mural of Michigan with depiction of Native American and French Settler Influence
Pewabic Pottery Storybook Tile Fireplace surround designed by Mary Perry Chase Stratton and
 Horace Caulkins, 1921. 

  The children's library is my favorite section of the DPL.  I have always loved reading books to my children, starting from infancy until they no longer wanted to sit on my lap and listen to bedtime stories.  I'm so pleased that both of my children love to read.  I collect vintage children books even though my daughter is 28 and my son is 12. 
                             Mosaic of Nicolaus Copernicus           [Mathematician and Astronomer]
                             Painted leaded glass windows by Frederick J. Wiley, 1921.


One of five murals devoted to the arts by Edwin Howland Blashfield 1922
Bronze Ironwork above entrance to the Adam Strohm Hall 
        "Man's Mobility"  Murals by John Stephens Coppin
 An homage to the progression of transportation, the mural in the middle is present time
[completed in 1964] as man looks heavenward--- while rockets ascend.

Mural on the left of  
Antoine Laumet de La Mothe, siur de Cadillac [say that fast five times] French Explorer 

Saint Clare of Assisi founded the Order of The Poor Ladies
   "The Conspiracy of  Pontiac', 1763"        Chief Pontiac and Major General Henry Gladwin 
 Artist Gari Melchers 1921  




The Ernie Harwell Sports Collection Room 
Tiger Stadium [Briggs Stadium] seats from "the corner" of Michigan Ave. & Trumbull Ave. 
Tigers Memorabilia 
 Founded in 1894 the Detroit Tigers are the oldest continuous one name, one city franchise in the American League.  The Detroit Tigers won the World Series in 1935, 1945. 1968 and 1984. 
Kirk Gibson poster 1984 
1968 World Series Trophy 


  As gorgeous as the Detroit Public Library is, I think that the majority of us in the 55+ Club were most interested and excited about the Ernie Harwell Collection.  Personally, I have many fond memories of Mr. Harwell.  I remember hearing his voice during ball games, seeing him on TV and I've heard some conversations between him and Frank Beckman on WJR over the years.  Ernie was an outstanding person.  He was humble, down to earth, and he was the kind of guy who reminded me of  a  favorite uncle, or a long -time family friend---- a good neighbor.
 
  My mother used to take my brother, daughter and me to Tiger Stadium.  Tiger Stadium was magical.  Tiger Stadium had a certain scent; a combination of hotdogs, spilled beer on the cement, melted ice cream bars, pop corn, peanuts, chipped Tiger Blue metal hand rails and hard plastic stadium seats, the playing field, fresh air combined with buses and Detroit.  Mama would bring a radio and headphones to Tiger Stadium so that we could hear Ernie on the radio during the game.  It was music to our ears to hear Ernie say, "That one is Loooong Gooone!"   Those were the days my friends...........we thought  they'd never end.

~Marcie

Memories are made of this.....

Ernie Harwell Classic Calls


Comments

Popular Posts