Mother's Day + Recipe | Mama's Lemon Lovely Cake

   What a beautiful, sun-shiny spring day this Mother's Day was.  The weather was just perfect.  My daughter Stephenie called to wish me a "Happy Mother's Day".   Erich and I made my mother's 'Lemon Lovely' cake for Keith's mom.  We made plans to take Keith's mom out for dinner at the Sign of the Beefcarver in the evening and I thought it would be nice to have cake and coffee at our house afterwards.
                                    
                                             Mama's handwritten 'Lemon Lovely' cake recipe.
1 box lemon cake mix  (I use Duncan Hines)
1 box Lemon Jello pudding
4 eggs
3/4 cup water
1 cup vegetable oil
Prepare cake mix as directed on package with ingredients from above.  While cake is cooling prepare glaze for cake.
2 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
Beat till smooth.   
When cake is cooled, prick with fork to make holes and spoon glaze over cake.  I put the first cake on the cake stand and glazed just the top and then put the second layer on top and glazed the top and sides.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.
My sweet mother in law arrived at our house with a beautiful Chrysanthemum and a card for me.
Then we went for a nice Sunday drive to Royal Oak to eat at the Sign of the Beefcarver.
The Sign of the Beefcarver est. 1957 
The Boys  
The A' la carte Menu
Salad Bar
The boys at the Entrée section.

 Dessert Section
  Mom and Keith
     The Sign of the Beefcarver Early American Colonial Décor
 Antique copper teapots, brass pots, pottery and various farming implements. 
Keith took a 'selfie' with Mom in front of 'The Carver'. 
      On our way home we made a detour and stopped by the Packard Proving Grounds and Lodge.
The Lodge, Mechanics Garage and Wrought Iron Gateways were designed by Architect Albert Kahn. 

Mechanics Garage and Water Tower
Packard Blvd. (left)    Packard Engineering Building (right) 

Mom and Keith
Mrs. Vincent's Lilac bush is budding.
Mama's 'Lemon Lovely' cake with old-fashioned faux  'Lily of the Valley' flowers. 
Erich and Grandma
   


                                                                Proverbs 31:28, 30, 31

                                                Her children arise and call her blessed, 
                                                a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
                                                Honor her for all that her hands have done;
                                                and let her works bring praise at the city gates.

     We have been blessed with a wonderful woman to call Mom and Grandma.  Mom is a joy to be around, she is kind and thoughtful.  Mom has always been kind to me and my family.  Mom is a good mother to her five children, I know that she is, because she raised my husband--- who is the best husband and father a gal could  ever want.  I pray that the Lord will bless Mom with good health and that she will be us with for many years to come. 

Thank You Father God, for blessing me with two wonderful mothers. 

                                    Mama's Miniature Lavender Iris    [Bloomed on Mother's Day]


In memory of my mother.

I thank God every time I remember you.
Philippians 1:3 

~Marcie

Comments

Popular Posts