Recipe | Homemade Pancake-Biscuit Mix


        My mother used Jiffy Mix for dumplings, pancakes and banana-nut bread quite often.  She preferred Jiffy over the other box-mix. I think its because Jiffy is made in Michigan and my Grandma used it too.  Personally, I have never bought the other mix.  I've always used Jiffy.  Recently saw a recipe for Betty Crocker's Bisquick Velvet Crumb Cake.  There were a lot of comments of this being a fav recipe that their mothers made and how it brought back a lot of fond memories.  I don't have any Bisquick or Jiffy Mix in the pantry, so I did a lil search for homemade recipes.  There are several to choose from.  I decided to go with a recipe that uses butter rather than Crisco shortening.  I prefer butter, over shortening, although I do grease baking pans with shortening when needed.  I also like having the option to make my own baking mix with ingredients that I always have on hand without the extra chemicals from preservatives.  

Here is the basic recipe.  
This can be increased according to your recipe, and the extra unused amount can be stored in a zipper storage bag in the freezer.



Homemade Pancake-Biscuit Mix

1  cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2  teaspoons baking powder
1/4  teaspoon salt
1  Tablespoon cold butter

Method:

Sift/whisk together dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
Grate cold/frozen butter.
Mix the grated butter to flour mixture until well incorporated.
Refrigerate or freeze until ready to use.  

*Photo source unknown.



Comments

Popular Posts