Recipe | Stuffed Bell Peppers


       The other day when I went to my favorite fruit market I spied a package of colorful bell peppers marked  $1.99!  I try my best not to buy more vegetables then I need on impulse.  Lately, I've been writing a grocery list and I have been pretty good about sticking to it.  I was really only looking for one yellow pepper---- to use in the pumpkin soup recipe that I posted last year that the boys and I love.  I just couldn't pass these pretties up!
       I still have a couple of cans of pumpkin puree that I bought last fall.  So  I'm standing in the isle, thinking-----"it will cost more for a single yellow pepper than the package of four!"  I picked up the package and tell myself, "I'll find something to do with the other three." LOL!  Is there anyone else out there that deliberates with themselves and justifies buying a bargain at the store?  I saved the yellow pepper for the pumpkin soup---and stuffed the red, orange and two green ones.  At dinner-time I asked the boys to pick out which color they wanted to eat.  They both loved them and Erich said, "I hope that you make these again, Mama!"
Stuffed Bell Peppers

Adapted from my vintage Better Homes and Gardens 'New' Cookbook a.k.a. Old Faithful

Preheat oven 350*F

4  Large Bell Peppers
1  pound lean ground beef  93/7
1/2 cup minced yellow onion
1  clove garlic finely minced
1  16 ounce petite cut diced tomatoes [do not drain]
1/2 cup white long grain white rice
1/2  cup water
1/2  teaspoon chili powder
1  teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1  teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2  teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1  dash tabasco sauce
1  cup shredded colby jack cheese
a few sprigs of fresh flat leaf  parsley or dried parsley for garnish (optional)

Wash and dry bell peppers.  Cut the tops off from the pepper and discard the stems, remove seeds and membranes from inside the pepper.  Chop enough of the tops to measure 1/4 cup and set aside.

Cook the whole peppers, uncovered in boiling water for 5 minutes.  Invert to drain well and set on a plate.

In a skillet cook ground beef, onion, and 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper till meat is browned and vegetables are tender.  Drain fat.  Add un-drained tomatoes, un-cooked rice, water, salt, Worcestershire and ground pepper.  Bring to boiling; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or till the rice is tender.

Stir in one cup shredded cheese.

Stuff peppers with meat mixture.  Place in a shallow baking dish.  Bake, covered in a 350*F oven for 30 to 35 minutes. 

Allow peppers to cool for a few minutes and garnish with freshly chopped or dried parsley.  I served dinner rolls with them.


                                                                  Best wishes and yummy dishes!
                                                                              From me to you.
                                                                                    ~Marcie

                                                                          

Comments

Popular Posts