Field Trip | The Detroit Zoo

Detroit Zoo Water Tower
                                                       The Matilda Wilson Free-Flight Aviary
 Today I had the pleasure of being a chaperone for Erich and seven of his seventh-grade classmates.  When I found out that I had a total of eight boys, I thought to myself, what did I get myself into?  Much to my surprise, they were great!  I really enjoyed tagging along with this group of young men.   Two of the boys, Erich has known since kindergarten, and another one is a friend that he hangs out with from our neighborhood.  They were a lot of fun to be around.  They were  polite and they all get along so well. 
                                                                   Michigan River Otter Habitat
              The guys checking out the turtles in the Holden Museum of Living Reptiles.
                                                                  Star-Back Turtles
 A visit to the Detroit Zoo is not complete without a photo taken by the Horace Rackham Memorial Fountain.
                                                                                   Allium
                                                                       Artic Ring of Life               
                                             Thermal image of the guys on the TV screen.
                                                                   A Gorgeous Peacock
                                                              A mate for the peacock.
I loved all the spring flowers that were in bloom.  There are gardens throughout the zoo and several nice walking trails through wooded areas.  Horace Rackham donated the 125 acres of land in Royal Oak--- to the city of Detroit for a golf course and zoo.  The Detroit Zoo opened August 1, 1928.
                             The flamingos have their home next to deer on the other side of the fence.
                     I thought this large frog statue overlooking the pond was pretty cute.  Ribbet!
     This is a tree-climbing kangaroo!  We were trying to find the giraffes, unfortunately, we ran out of time.  There is just too much to see in one visit.  I hope that the guys had a good time.  I thanked them for how great they were to be around.  A couple of them thanked me too!  

It's hard to believe that Memorial Day is coming this Monday. Have a great holiday weekend.  
~Marcie  


Detroit Zoo 1982 Video

Comments

Popular Posts