Mother's Day | 20 Things I learned From My Mother


    With Mother's Day approaching I have been reflecting on things that I have learned from my mother.  Nearly everyday I will say something and think to myself, "that's something my mother would have said."   I also am reminded quite often of things she taught me a while she was raising my brother and me.  One thing that I may never forget her saying to us, "You better take care of me when I'm old, or I will come back to haunt you!"  I remember thinking----knowing her--- she probably would come back to haunt me or at least her words will.  We honored Mama's wishes, she was well taken care of; and it is comforting to know that she is at peace.  I'm so grateful to God that we were all able to be with her when she went home to be with the Lord. 

Here are twenty valuable lessons that Mama taught me.

1.  Honesty is one of the most important attributes a person can have.  And she always said to us, "If you lie to me, and I find out that you lied--- you'll be in twice as much trouble!"

2.  Respect your elders.

3.  Always use good manners.     

4.  The benefits of good posture by sitting up straight (or walk) and keeping your shoulders
back.   It's good for your back and it accentuates your figure.

5. How to walk like a lady.

6.  How to strike a pose.

7.  How to  dance and snap my fingers at the same time.

8.  How to dead-head petunias and other flowers at a young age.

9.  How to play cards and board games.

10.  How to bake and cook.

11.  How to make dinner with a pound of hamburg 50 different ways. That's a slight exaggeration, even though she boasted about how many things she could make with hamburger.  We did eat hamburger dishes a lot! Ha ha!

12.  Mama prayed every night at bedtime.

13.  Never talk about someone when they are not around to defend themselves.

14.   Never tell someone to go to H-e double l.

15.  Never gossip.  My mother did not like gossip!

16.  How to have a good work ethic.

17.  "Waste not, want not."

18.  Wait for things to go on sale to buy them.

19.  Never sign something without reading it thoroughly and understanding what it says.

20.  That it is possible to enjoy life with very little.

      I could write book on life lessons from my mother.  For now, these are just  a few things that my Mama impressed upon me.  I thank God to have had her for my mother.  She was a lot of fun to be around.  I miss talking to her on the phone about everyday things, our flower gardens, Stephenie and Erich.  I miss going shopping with her.  I miss how excited she would get around Christmas-time.  I miss her voice, her smile, and the sound of her laugh.   

    While I miss her---as I have said many times, I'm happy that she is free from the ills of this world.  I'm so glad that I will see her again someday with the Lord.

     .

 ~Marcie        


Comments

Popular Posts