Mother's Day Weekend + Recipe | White Cake & Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting

Mimi's Lavender Miniature Iris
      Saturday Keith and Erich went to a friend's house to work on his boat, and I picked Stephenie up and we headed over to the local Farmer's Market.  This was the first visit to the Farmer's Market this year; there were quite a few vendors with flats of flowers, hanging planters, and pots of perennials.  I was a good girl and resisted buying anything.  My flower beds are full of perennials and its too early for me to plant any annuals.  It has been quite chilly the past couple of days-----so I'm going to stick to my own rule and wait 'til closer to Memorial Day weekend to plant annuals.  After the Farmer's Market we went to a store named "Farmers Market'.  It's an old-fashioned meat market that also sells fruit, vegetables and pantry items.  In the spring and summer they have some of the best vegetable, herb, annual and perennials plants.  I buy my flowers, tomato plants and herbs from there.   Stephenie and I were going ga-ga over the zinnias and variegated sweet allysum.  They have a great selection of geraniums too.  The colors they have are like eye-candy to a flower lover.  Next week I'll bring my camera.
      After the Farmers Market I asked Steph if she wanted to go to my 'Favorite Store' a.k.a. 'The Salvation Army' and she said she had things to do at home.  Lol!   I went alone to see if a set of 'Currier and Ives' dinnerware that I spied earlier in the week was still on the shelf.  And it was.  I couldn't resist.  I picked up 8 dinner plates, 4 salad plates, 4 berry bowls, 4 saucers, 1 large oval platter and 1 extra large round platter for $30.00.  What a deal!  I wanted something in blue transfer ware to use daily and save my English Village ironstone for displaying in the hutch.  Happy Mother's Day to me!  They are made by 'Royal China' the same company that made our 'Old Curiosity Shop' a.k.a. 'Sign of the Beefcarver' dinnerware set.  I love Currier and Ives.  This is a great addition to my 'Leave it to BeeZo' / 'Sign of the Beefcarver'  eat-in kitchen. 
      Currier and Ives reminds me of one of my favorite places to visit----- Greenfield Village.  Soon we will be spending time at the village during all the great summertime events.  I can't wait.
          After I came home from 'My Favorite Store' I baked a white cake for Mom for Mother's Day. 
      Mom's favorite color is blue.  I bought a blue linen tablecloth at an estate sale a few years ago and I thought that it would look lovely with our white dishes and white flowers. 
I was thrilled to find some beautiful white hydrangeas, roses and daisy mums to decorate the table and cake at my favorite fruit market.
Keith and Mom 
We met Mom at church in the morning and then later on--- Mom came over and we took her to the Sign of the Beefcarver for dinner. Then we came home and had cake and coffee.
 White Cake with Strawberry Cream Cheese Butter Cream (in the middle) Frosting
Recipe

Cake
1   Package Duncan Hines Classic White cake mix
Prepare as directed on package with the exception of using the whole eggs (yolks and whites).
Frosting
1   stick butter, room temperature
12 oz.   cream cheese softened
1 tsp.   vanilla
4  cups powder sugar
4-6 Tablespoons of whipping cream

Cream together butter, cream cheese and vanilla until combined.  Gradually add powdered sugar until combined adding whipping cream as needed.  Increase speed to medium and beat til fluffy.

For strawberry cream cheese buttercream frosting transfer 1 1/2 cups of frosting to small mixing bowl and add 2 Tablespoons of seeded strawberry preserves and mix together until well blended.  Gradually add extra powdered sugar if the frosting becomes too loose.

Prepare cake plate with strips of wax paper on the outer edge of plate and center bottom layer of cake on plate.  With a palette knife spread strawberry frosting on the center of cake evenly leaving approx. 1 inch border unfrosted.  Place top layer of  cake on top and frost the top layer with cream cheese buttercream frosting then add frosting to the sides evenly.   I have a Lazy Susan that I place my cake plate on.  It makes frosting a cake so much easier.  When the cake is frosted carefully remove the strips of wax paper.  I piped the bottom of edge of the cake with a star tip and decorated the top with daisy mums.  Place cake in the refrigerator until ready to serve.   


      Mom gave me a beautiful card and white kalanchoe for Mother's day, I've been enjoying it in my kitchen.

                                                  I hope that everyone had a lovely Mother's Day. 
                                                                                  ~Marcie


Comments

Popular Posts