Memorial Day Weekend + Recipe | My Mama's Potato Salad

       Erich had Friday off from school and so our holiday weekend started with a mini road-trip to the west side of Detroit.  I had been anticipating a darling estate sale in the Rosedale Park area of Detroit for weeks.  I was excited to go because Rosedale Park  is just a few blocks away from the humble neighborhood where my father grew up and also where we lived when I was born. 
What a beautiful area of Detroit.  I had Erich take a few pictures in the neighborhood after we left the sale. (The sale was not at the house to the left.)   Erich found the Chrysler Corporation pencil in the drawer of the hutch in the kitchen nook.  I keep pencils and pens in one of my hutch drawers too!  Erich asked the lady how much for the pencil and she said he could have it for free.  Erich is a seasoned "junker".  I've been taking him "junking" since he was a toddler. 
      After we left the estate sale I took Grand River west bound towards my great-aunt Elsie's neighborhood.  Along the way I spied the Huge sign for the Huge Parish Garage Sale!  Yay!  When I was about 7 or 8 years old, my mom and my aunt Joyce took my brother Terry and my cousins, Donna and Michael, 'garage sailing'.  We also went to a garage sale in the basement of a Catholic church.  Walking into the basement of Christ the King Catholic Church was like going back in time.  I think this is the same church.  It looked so familiar, the only thing missing was a few nuns and a table with a bunch of rosaries for sale.  Lol!  My mom bought a rosary for me with light blue crystals.  I asked the gentleman who was working at the sale how long they have been having garage sales there and he said for a very long time.  Could it be?  I think so!
      I bought some vintage children's books for my niece Shelby who is due to have a baby in September.  Erich bought a vintage box of fluorescent Crayola crayons, a vehicle from 'Back to the Future'  and some stickers.
      Our next stop was at my great-aunt Elsie's house.  When aunt Elsie lived there--- the grass and shrubs were perfectly manicured.  She had Lily-of-the-Valley growing along the side of the house and peonies along the fence.  She cut the grass with an electric lawn mower!   The inside of her house is so lovely.  It has mint green ceramic tile in the bathroom.  The kitchen is small, but adorable---- with cream colored cabinets, and a sweet ditsy print wallpaper.  My brother and I stayed with my aunt Elsie once when I was about 7 years old--- when my parents had to go to a funeral out of town.  Aunt Elsie made scrambled eggs for breakfast.  I remember that we walked to the shopping plaza in the afternoon, and she bought Terry and I a coloring book and crayons at Kresge, then we went to the grocery store.  Aunt Elsie took us to the Saturday evening Mass.  Years later, aunt Elsie invited our family over on Christmas Eve to have brunch.  My great-uncle Billy and great-aunt Margaret would come over, and uncle Billy would make his soufflé.  They were such great people, some of my most the fondest memories have been spent with them.
      The next place I drove past was practically right around the corner on Beech-Daly Road----Mama Mia's.  My Papa would take our family there for pizza, sometimes we would have the  anti-pasta salad, breadsticks and baked spaghetti with mozzarella on top.  It was a treat to go there for dinner. 
     I decided to stay on Beech-Daly Road (north of 8 Mile Road) and drove into Beech Woods Park to show Erich where Terry and I would go swimming in the summer and ice skating in the winter.
                                  Plum Hollow Lanes--- the bowling alley from the old neighborhood.
    We stopped at the A&W in Berkley where Mama used to take Terry & me to eat every now & then.
'The Berkley Theatre' that used to have 'Three Stooges Festivals' has been converted to a drug store.  Why, who's the wise-guy that came up with that idea?
Keith's sister Teri sent a text message to Keith on Thursday asking if we would like to go to a Tiger game Friday night with her and [hubby] Keith, Michele [sister] and Dan [BIL].  The announcer took time to honor our fallen servicemen and women in advance of Memorial Day before the game started.

                        Erich had a super-awesome time sitting next to aunt Teri and uncle Keith.
                Kid Rock was in the stadium and Erich snapped this pic of him on the big screen.
        I should have known he was there when I heard, 'All Summer Long' playing.   Yeah Baby!
                            Tigers won 6-2 over the Houston Astros.  Bless You Boys!
       What a great way to start our holiday weekend.  Keith worked during the day on Saturday.  We spent the rest of the weekend working on things around the house.  Monday, I made my Mama's potato salad and put some spare ribs in the oven to braise.  Keith finished them off on the grill with some Open Pit BBQ sauce.  We ended up bringing everything inside because it got too windy outside!
 My Mama's Potato Salad

3 pounds  Michigan potatoes
4   hard boiled eggs  (Chop 3, slice 1 for garnish)
1 1/2 cups  Miracle Whip
1-2 teaspoons French's yellow mustard
1/2 cup  finely chopped celery
2  medium size radishes minced
1/4 cup  yellow onion finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
paprika to garnish

Peel potatoes and cut into small cubes, place in large pot full of cold water seasoned with salt.  Bring to boil and simmer until potatoes are tender.

In a small bowl add Miracle Whip, mustard, salt and pepper stir until combined.

When potatoes are cool enough to handle place in large mixing bowl with chopped vegetables.  Stir.  Add chopped eggs and stir.  Add Miracle Whip mixture. Stir until combined.  Transfer to serving bowl.  Top with egg slices.  Sprinkle with paprika.  Refrigerate.  Keep refrigerated after serving.
Enjoy!

I hope everyone had a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend.

~Marcie


Comments

Popular Posts