Little Orphan Missy


      Yesterday was Erich's last day of school.  While he was in school I headed to the Farmer's Market to buy some herbs for a couple of new planters for our patio.  Being as I was only a couple of miles from "my favorite store" I thought I would stop in---it would be a shame not to go when I'm so close, right?  I really don't need anything, but I love walking around the store looking for little treasures.  I'm always on the look-out for vintage frames, and when I saw this little miss with her teddy bear I wanted to bring her home.  I have a small collection of antique and vintage children's photographs hanging in my bedroom.  I've always been fascinated with old photographs.  When I was a little girl, around seven years old, one of our neighbor ladies named Alma used to invite me in for milk and cookies, and she would show me her family photo album, and tell me stories about her childhood and family.  It was one of those ornate leather albums with 'Photographs' embossed on the cover and an oval frame on the front with a photo from the late 1800's--- early 1900's.  There was even an envelope with a lock of her curly blonde hair in it!  I think she would be surprised to know what an impression that made on me.

      Whenever I come across photographs at an antique or thrift store I always wonder how anyone could ever give a picture away of a family member?  There was no name or date on this photograph.  I have several photos with the name, date and age of the child (children) hand written on the back.  Some of them are over a hundred years old!  They are so beautiful.  There's something about the tone and the depth of older photographs that seem to capture a person's personality.  And this little orphan missy looks like a little stinker to me.

                            Now she is no longer an orphan----she has a new home with us.
                                                                        ~Marcie   

           

Comments

Popular Posts