Patio Herb Garden + Recipe | Lemon & Basil Infused Rotini Pasta Salad


      Last Thursday I bought herb plants at the Farmers Market to use in a couple of planters that I bought for our patio.  I love adding fresh herbs to the dishes that I prepare.  Fresh herbs really elevate, brighten and adds a depth of flavor that makes an ordinary dish---special. 

     I planted rosemary and thyme in each planter----chives, tarragon, and nasturtium in one---- sage, marjoram, and basil in the other.  The planters that I chose are a pretty good size.  I bought 3 bags of potting soil to fill them.  Part of the reason why I wanted to plant herbs in tall planters on the patio is because we have bunny rabbits that love to feast on my flowers in the garden.  I'm not naïve---those little rascally rabbits ate my petunias in planters.  They put their front paws on the container and sat on their cute little hinnies and chomped away.  I have witnessed them doing so!  So far I haven't seen any evidence of any nibbling in the herb planters.  I like having the pots just outside the patio door.  I can peek at them anytime, and it will be very convenient to just step out the patio door and pick what I need for cooking. 
Lemon & Basil Infused Mini Rotini Pasta Salad
1/2 pound  rotini pasta
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
Juice of a lemon
1/4   extra virgin olive oil
1  clove garlic finely minced
1  teaspoon  sea salt
1  teaspoon  freshly ground pepper (we love pepper)
1/2 cup  freshly grated parmesan cheese
1  pint  cherry tomatoes halved lengthwise
2  Tablespoons red onion finely chopped
5-6  fresh basil leaves julienned
small basil leaves for garnish

Prepare pasta according to package instructions (I added 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt to water).  Drain pasta and allow to cool for a few minutes.  I stirred the pasta in the colander a few times to help cooling process.  While pasta is still warm transfer to mixing bowl.  Drizzle olive oil over pasta and stir until it is evenly coated.  Add minced garlic, salt and pepper, stir.  Add parmesan, stir.  Add tomatoes, onions, basil and lemon juice.  Stir until well combined.  Let sit at room temperature for an hour to allow the flavors to infuse then serve room temperature or refrigerate until ready to serve. 

      The boys really love this pasta dish.  I have made this twice already over the weekend!  I like that it's quick and easy to make.  I plan on having a little bowl of this with a piece of fruit for lunch.

                                                               Have a blessed day!
                                                                   ~Marcie
   




Comments

Popular Posts