Recipe | Tuna Noodle Casserole

                                                                     Mimi's Tuna Noodle Casserole

      During Lent I abstain from meat on Fridays.  This is something that I have done since just before I was confirmed Catholic at age 20.  I converted to the Lutheran church a few months before Keith and I married.  To tell the truth-----eating fish on Friday is hardly a sacrifice, however, I do keep mindful of why I abstain from meat. 

      Mom and I went to church on Ash Wednesday and it was a beautiful service.  It is quite humbling to---" remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return."  Genesis 3:19 
Without God's grace through Jesus Christ---- we are hopeless.

      My mom made Tuna Noodle Casserole during Lent.  I was always thrilled when she made it.  My brother Terry------not-so-much!  Erich turned his nose up when he realized what I was making for dinner.  He was happy to eat the leftover meatloaf tonight.  Lol!  I'm not one to force a child to eat something that they absolutely do not like.  I have offered fish to him since he was a toddler and he always refused it.  He loves shrimp though, go figure!  He doesn't like the smell of peanut butter either, and refuses to eat anything with peanuts in it.  What a strange kid.  There was no complaint from Keith---he enjoyed dinner very much.

Mimi's Tuna Noodle Casserole                                                                      Preheat oven 350*F

1 - 10 1/2 oz. can Campbell's Cream of Mushroom
1 - 5 oz. can chunk light tuna packed in water----drained and flaked
1/2 cup milk
2 - cups cooked Mueller's  no-yolk wide ribbons (noodles)
1 - cup canned tender sweet peas
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
4 - slices American cheese slices*

In a 2 1/2 quart casserole mix together cream of mushroom soup, milk and black pepper.  Add  flaked tuna, cooked noodles and peas.  Place cheese on top of mixture.  Bake in oven, uncovered for 30 minutes.

* Variation:  My friend Kelli's mom used to make Tuna Noodle Casserole with crumbled potato chips on top.
                         
                                             
                                                                      ~Marcie

Comments

Popular Posts