Love Notes



                                Stanley a.k.a. Bill and Frances at Bob-lo Island's Dance Pavilion July 14, 1924
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
Ninety years ago Keith's paternal grandparents spent the day at Bob-lo Island.  On the back of the photograph is written:   Picture taken July 14, 1924    
My Little darling wife   I love her so.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
I remember the first time I saw this photograph, and when Keith read the inscription on the back I said, "Awwww!"
On the back of this photograph is written: 7/14/24
My Sweet Daddy Bill
I love him so
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Keith never met his paternal grandparents as they both went home to be with the Lord within a couple of years of each other in the 1950's.  We have both been fascinated with this couple and most intrigued with what they were like.  We even have their wedding photograph hanging in our dining room.  Stanley worked at the Packard plant in Detroit, and Frances worked at Square D also in Detroit, and later at Crowley's Milner cafeteria, downtown Detroit.  I have a photo of her at the Crowley's cafeteria in our kitchen.   
      Keith's great-aunt Bernie was married to Stanley's brother, Benny.  Keith asked aunt Bernie what his grandparents were like and she said that Frances was a lot of fun, and that  she was  the life of the party.  Aunt Bernie loved Stanley and Keith's father dearly.  I think that aunt Bernie was most likely----- a lot like Frances.  Aunt Bernie reminded me so much of my great-aunts, my Mimi and my Grandma.  I enjoyed being around them because they always had interesting things to talk about.  Their generation knew how to have fun with very little.    
      When I first saw the picture of Keith's grandparents, I immediately knew that they were standing in front of the Bob-lo dance pavilion.  It was so exciting to see a picture of his grandparents standing in front of the Bob-lo dance pavilion in 1924!  My imagination ran wild----- looking at these two love-birds posing for a photograph on a warm sunny day at Bob-lo!  I wondered if they liked to dance and what their favorite song was.  Did they hold hands walking through the park, and I wonder if  Stanley stole a little kiss on the Ferris-wheel?   We may never know,  however, it sure is nice to ponder upon their day on the island.       
      Going to Bob-lo Island Amusement Park has always been considered a special event.  In 1913 the 35,000 square foot dance pavilion was built, and the 1913 Welte Wotan Brass Band Orchestrian was installed.  It was the second largest dance pavilion in North America.  In order to get to Bob-lo Island you had to go for a boat-ride on the Detroit 'river'.   Keith, Stephenie, and I have been fortunate enough to have been to Bob-lo Island.  Unfortunately, we didn't go together, because it closed before we met.  Keith and I agree that the boat-ride was the best part of going to Bob-lo.  There's just something about the way the engines sounded and the scent from the engine room in combination with cruising on the river that was so great.  I used to go with my girl-friends.  There was a DJ and we would dance most of the way to the island.  Keith's mom said that she went on a few of the 'moonlight cruises' and her brother Mel  used to play the drums in a band that would entertain on the boat.
      I think that Keith looks so much like his grandpa.  I know that his grandpa Stanley,
and grandma Frances would have adored Keith! 
               I don't think that they could ever imagine that someday, they would have a grandson
who would----- love them so.

                                                                    
~Marcie           
  

1913 Welte Wotan Brass Band Orchestrian for auction.

http://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=974061

Comments

Popular Posts