Our Vacation | Mackinac Bridge and St. Ignace

      Friday we crossed the Mackinac Bridge and check out St. Ignace before we headed home.   I know that my parents took my brother and me to Mackinac Island when we lived in Cheboygan.   I don't recall if we ever went on the Mackinac Bridge.  I'm glad that we took the time to cross it and go for a little drive in St. Ignace.  Now I can say with confidence, "I've been on the Mackinac Bridge, and been to the U. P." !
                                                                   Mackinac Bridge
While driving in St. Ignace we [discovered] the "World Famous" Castle Rock and Gift Shop.
                                                    That is "Curious" -----I've never heard of it!
The staircase is Steep! 
  The boys found a place to hang out in.
 The Castle Rock is nearly 200 feet above lake level. 
The tune 'On a clear day, you can see forever'........... comes to mind. 
          It is quite a beautiful 360* view of the area, and you can see Mackinac Island in the distance.
     The Castle Rock was the ancient lookout of the Ojibway Indians [referred to] as Pontiac's lookout.

                        
                                On our way back to the bridge we stopped in St. Ignace State Park.

                       
                Check out the view of the Mackinac Bridge from the picnic area in the state park!
                                                                  Who woulda thunk it?
                                                                     It's soooo pretty!


                       
 I loved the picnic grounds.  It really reminded me of being a little kid!
      I was so excited when I saw this water fountain.  The water is cold and it tastes good!
 
The next time that we go to a state park picnic area I'm going to bring a pic-a-nic basket, with some pic-a-nic goodies. Yay-hee-hee!  And something to grill---- on the barbeque, Boo-Boo.
      Well, I would have loved to have stayed longer in St. Ignace---- alas, we did have to return home.  My only regret is that we didn't stop and pick up some Pasties before we left the U.P.  My Mimi used to make Pasties; she taught my mother how to make them and  Mama taught me how to make them.  I'll have to make some this fall for the boys.  They are delicious!



Good-bye northern Michigan-----we love you!

~Marcie 








Comments

Popular Posts