You Like 'Tomato' and I Like 'Tomahto'

       You say "tomato" and I say "tomahto".  And I say, "I'm not ready for summer to end-----so, let's call the whole thing off"!  Good grief Charlie Brown, I can't believe this coming weekend is Labor Day weekend already!  Is there a rewind button I can press to start summer all over again?


      Yesterday morning I took Erich to his 7th grade orientation.  After lunch, I went outside and picked some tomatoes to give to Stephenie when we met at the movie theatre to watch a show.  I gave her 2 bags full of regular and cherry tomatoes and I still have quite a few left.

     With our recent abundance of home grown tomatoes, I have been making BLT's,  Greek Pasta Salad and Chicken Pasta with fresh diced tomatoes, spinach and creamy parmesan sauce.

     I would love to can some of our tomatoes.  I helped my mother can tomatoes when I was around Erich's age.  I remember helping take the peel off the tomatoes after she blanched them.  Mama also canned apple sauce with cinnamon in it.  She used to make a really delicious applesauce cake with her applesauce and golden raisins.  I have Mama's canning funnel.  I have canning jars, new lids and bands, a large pot and I bought a vintage canning rack at an antique store a couple of years ago.  I even found a vintage  J.L. Hudson's canning booklet.  It's supposed to rain this weekend, so maybe I'll see if Erich would like to try canning with me, even if it's just one batch, and we can sing, 'Let's Call the Whole Thing Off''--- while we work.

'Let's Call the Whole Thing Off''
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOILZ_D3aRg


Oh how I love a Gershwin tune, and any movie with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.  They're
'S Marvelous!

                                                            ~Marcie

Comments

Popular Posts