Recipe | Old-Fashioned Baked Beans


 
     It's hard to believe that its Labor Day weekend.  Friday night we went to an end of the season car show---the last show at this particular venue, until next spring.  What a bummer!  The good news is that there are still quite a few more car shows coming up, including [one of my favorites] the Open House at the Packard Proving Grounds. 
                 Papa Burgers, sliced home-grown tomatoes and Old-Fashioned Baked Beans

      I didn't get around to canning this weekend.  Keith requested my home-made Old-Fashioned Baked Beans for dinner with his Papa Burgers.  A few years ago we were invited to a Packard Tech Session and Potluck.  One of the ladies [Margaret] brought  baked beans made from her mother's recipe.  They were so good I had to ask her for the recipe, for two reasons---first of all, they were really good!  Secondly, Margaret was over 100 years old [at the time] and I couldn't resist asking her for the recipe just out of pure curiosity!  Margaret is one of the most interesting and remarkable ladies I have ever met, and she was more than happy to share her mother's recipe with me.  Margaret shared the ingredients with me verbally, but I didn't write them down.  However,  I recall her stressing that she uses Campbell's Pork and Beans and Durkee's dry mustard. I just loved the way that she said, "It has to be Durkee's dry mustard."   Whenever I make baked beans, I think of Margaret. 
                                                                                                                    Preheat oven 350* F

Here is my recipe for sweet and tangy:  Old-Fashioned Baked Beans

2- 11 oz.cans Campbell's Pork and Beans
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
4 slices of bacon
3 Tablespoons of Heinz ketchup
1 Tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp. dry mustard


Finely dice a small onion and measure 1/4 cup.  Cut 4 slices of bacon in small peices and fry in a medium saucepan until it is crisp, and remove from pan.  Carefully drain fat and reserve about a tablespoon in saucepan and add onions.  Saute onions until translucent.  Then add pork and beans, ketchup, worcestershire sauce, dark brown sugar, mustard and stir in pan.  Crumble cooled bacon and add to bean mixture.  Transfer to baking dish and bake covered for 1-1 1/2 hours in 350* oven.
                                                                            Or
Simmer on lowest setting on stove top for up to an hour and stir occasionally.  Transfer beans to serving dish.  Enjoy!

                                                                ~Marcie


Miss Margaret's Packard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS7bcVx4WfQ

Comments

Popular Posts